Teaching my self to bind…

…books!    Not only am I making boxes to present my images, I am attempting another binding method.   As you might remember, I have done Japanese Stab binding and Accordion binding.  I am now trying Coptic binding.   This is a binding that allows a number of signatures and a front and back cover but no spine.  Here’s a link to the tutorial I followed:  http://www.tortagialla.com/2010/08/16/chain-or-coptic-stitch-bookbinding-tutorial/

It’s very easy to do.  I struggled a bit with a straight needle on my prototype so a curved needle for a larger attempt would make this much, much easier.   What’s really nice about this type of binding is the fact that it lays flat – something that is important when displaying my work.

Advertisements

Another class, another cool project

I started a portfolio class at the beginning of january.  the goal of the class is to end up with an appropriate portfolio of my work for gallerys, or publication, or something.    Everyone in the class is to come up with their own plan and strategy for accomplishing what they want to do with their work.

I am in a position where I am taking these photography classes for fun.  I am not looking for a job after I ‘graduate’ – I am simply looking to learn and have fun.  My goal for this course is to do two different portfolio presentations;  print a larger set of column images in a  bound book, and to print loose images presented in a hand made box.

I learned a lot while doing the extended project last semester.  The accordion books turned out great, but the stab bound book covers have a tendency to snap off.  I needed to figure out a better way to bind.  I am going to attempt to do a post bound book.    I made one as a prototype.   This kit book has about 24 pre-cut pages, book board for the cover, and posts to hold it all together.  It’s a much more sturdy book than my prior attempts.

My second project will be to create larger images of my trips to Italy.  These will probably be 5×7 images in a hand made box.  I have made two sample boxes; a Japanese folding box and a drop spine box.

The Japanese folding box was fun – and took most of the day.  I found a kit of pre-cut cut board and instructions at Blick’s.  The paper I made – well,  I bought some nice paper, a gold ink pad, and a stamp of writing.  The inside has blue book cloth.  What’s cool about this type of box is that it opens up flat.

This box design does need a little tweaking in both the size of the pieces and the construction since it doesn’t quite fit together all that well.  I’ll be working on both over the next week or so.

The drop spine box, while very nice and has it’s uses, is probably not appropriate for what I want to do.  This is a good box for storing small items, but it would be somewhat clumsy for storing flat prints and presenting them.