Project update

As you know, I am working through the process of displaying my work and I’ve pretty much landed on handmade books and boxes. One of the things that I have discovered along the way, that has been quite interesting, is other people’s reactions to these items. The images that get put in the boxes really need to be either all landscape or all portrait. I am not a fan of a horizontal images on a vertical piece of paper, and I’ve noticed people ‘fumble’ with images that are of a different orientation as they flip thru the stack. This is true for books; all images the same direction. The problem with my books, however, is different; I have completely neglected to identify the front of the book! I have figured out printing, covering, binding. Everything but the cover. This results in people, 9 times out of 10, starting upside down and backwards. Sigh.

My instructor, Russell Phillips and I brainstormed a bit about this last night. He had a couple of ideas of which this one is the one I am going with….emboss the cover. This means cutting out a square on the cover of the book and peeling out the cardboard layer within it. This leaves a small indention that, once covered with paper, looks really nice. Russell thought it might be cool to make the square about an inch big and put a stamp sized image in it. Below is a scrap piece of cardboard where I cut out the cardboard and covered with paper. Looks pretty cool!

As for the class assignment; I am half way done. The box and images for the box are completed. I do need to trim down the sheets so that they are all the same size. The image order for the book is just about done. I need to swap out one image (or add one) to break up all the architecture images. I should be able to get all of this completed within the next three weeks – just in time for a portfolio review with Mary Virginia Swanson.